Description : Nardostachys jatamansi is a flowering plant of the honeysuckle family that grows in the eastern Himalayas, primarily in a belt through Kumaon, Nepal, Sikkim and Bhutan. The plant grows to about 1 m in height and has pink, bell-shaped flowers. It is found in the altitude of about 3000–5000 meters. Rhizomes (underground stems) can be crushed and distilled into an intensely aromatic amber-colored essential oil, which is very thick in consistency. Nard oil is used as a perfume, an incense, a sedative, and an herbal medicine said to fight insomnia, birth difficulties, and other minor ailments.
- Special care is required while administering this medicine to people with high blood pressure.
- People with heavy periods should avoid this herb during periods. It may increase menstrual flow.
- On giving this medicine on excess dose, it may cause vomiting, twitching abdominal pain and purgation.
- It is best avoided during pregnancy and lactation period.
- It can be given to children only under medical supervision.
- Jatamamsi can be used internally as well as externally.
- It is a well-known brain tonic and imparts a sense of calm and peace to mind.
- The herb is mixed with cold water to form a paste and reduce burning sensation, inflammation, pain and improving skin texture.
- Since it is fragrant, jatamamsi powder is used as a deodorant in case of excessive sweating.
- The powder also helps in treating mental retardation and mental disorders, regularizing digestion in the body, regularizing respiratory tract and suppressing general body weakness.
- The decoction of the herb is poured on the affected areas in ailments associated with burning and in erysipelas.
- The medicated jatamamsi oil is extremely beneficial for smooth, silky and healthy hair.
- Jatamamsi is useful for urine-related problems and maintaining the circulatory system.
- The herb increases appetite, relieves the phlegm in cough and asthma, proves useful in hepatitis and treats enlargement of the liver.
- It is used as an adjunct in the treatment of sexual debility and impotence.
- Jatamamsi relieves symptoms like vertigo, seizures etc. in fever.
- Since it exerts a cleansing effect on the uterus, it is used in menstrual ailments like dysmenorrheal and inflammation of the uterus.
- The herb stops fermentation and gas in the stomach.
- Jatamamsi is considered as one of the best herbs for treating epilepsy.
- It reduces hyperactivity, restlessness and aggressiveness in hyperactive children.