Description : The plant is similar in appearance to other members of the carrot family, with finely divided, feathery leaves with thread-like divisions, growing on 20–30 cm (7.9–11.8 in) stems. The main flower stem is 40–60 cm (16–24 in) tall, with small white or pink flowers in umbels. Caraway fruits (erroneously called seeds) are crescent-shaped achenes, around 2 mm (0.08 in) long, with five pale ridges.
The caraway plant looks a little like cow parsley but prettier and less brutish and the white flowers are occasionally tinged with delicate pink. With feathery, delicate foliage the plant is easy to work into a garden border and when in flower it gives a lovely appearance of a meadow.
Uses : Caraway is a widely used and incredibly useful plant. The seeds are used for culinary purposes and medicinally, while the leaves can be eaten in salads and the roots cooked as a root vegetable like parsnips or carrots.
The fruits, erroneously called seeds are crescent-shaped achenes. They are usually used whole and have a pungent, liquorice-anise like flavour and aroma They are used as a spice in cakes and breads, especially rye bread and are delicious cooked with vegetables. They add flavour to cheeses and are used for seasoning sausages and beef.
Medicinally, the seeds are valued as a gentle medicine to relieve stomach ailments.
- Caraway seeds lowers the concentration of LDL cholesterol, by preventing its re-absorption in the colon. As such, caraway seeds help in preventing a variety of cardiovascular diseases like heart attack and artery congestion.
- Caraway seeds also help relieve the symptoms of bronchitis.
- It is a rich source of anti-oxidant compounds including carotene, lutein, zeaxanthin and cryptoxanthin. These compounds negate the effect of free radicals produced as a result of biochemical reactions, thereby preventing the formation and proliferation of cancer cells.
- On account of its detoxifying properties, it also helps in lowering the pace of aging. It helps in reducing the signs of aging like fine lines, patches on skin, dark spots and wrinkles.
- They help boost immunity. It prevents the exhaustion of T-cells, which in turn prevents the strain on the immune system, thereby strengthening it and preventing against infections and diseases.
- Help in improving the texture of the skin on account of its rich Vitamin E content.
- They have a strong and pungent odor. As such, the seeds may be chewed to get rid of the bad breath as well as the insipid or bland taste in the mouth.
- Also serves as a tonic for pregnant women.
- They are a potent emmenagogue. The seeds regulate the menstrual cycle and regularize your periods. They also help reduce pre-menstrual syndrome (PMS) like pain in lower abdomen, bloating and water retention in the body, nausea, and loss of appetite, among others.
- Enhances eyesight and also improves skin and hair texture.
- Prevents impotency in males by stimulating sperm production.
- They are a potent carminative, which help clear up cough and phlegm from the respiratory tract and relieves congestion.
- They have proven effective for lactating mothers by promoting milk secretion. Lactating women may consume caraway seeds in honey to enhance milk production for the health of the baby.
- Promotes the activity of glands, thereby maintaining the overall physiology of the body.
- Regulates the function of kidneys, cleaning the body of waste materials and toxins.
- Its seed extract may also be used in the treatment of scabies.
- It may also be deployed to cure ear infections and pain.
- The seeds are a potent antiseptic agent, which prevents and cure infections.
- It is also effective in the treatment of arthritis, rheumatism and inflammation of joints.
- They may also be used to cure severe headache and migraine.
- Usage of caraway seeds is an effective remedy to cure toothache and other oral afflictions.
- Caraway seeds may be used as a flavoring agent in the kitchen. It may be used in sausages as well as meat preparations.
|CARUM CARVI ( JEERA, CARAWAY )|
|DESCRIPTION||YELLOW AMBER LIQUID WITH CHARACTERISTIC AROMATIC ODOUR|