Description : The celery seed is obtained by drying the celery fruit. The celery seeds have less calorific value and are high in nutrition. It has several medicinal properties as well.
Celery seed shall be the dried fruit of Apium graveolens L. The light brown to brown seeds have a characteristic aroma and warm, bitter taste. Celery seed is the dried fruit (seed) of a wild variety of celery called smallage which grows to a height of about 18 inches. It is not derived from the vegetable of the same name. The seeds seldom exceed 1 mm in diameter.
Uses : Celery seed has been used as medicine for thousands of years in the Eastern world. During ancient times, Indian Ayurvedic medicine used celery seed to treat colds, flu, water retention, poor digestion, different types of arthritis, and certain diseases of the liver and spleen.
Today, celery seed is used mostly as a diuretic, meaning it helps your body eliminate water by increasing urine output. Celery seed is also used for:
- Treating arthritis and gout
- Helping reduce muscle spasms
- Calming the nerves
- Reducing inflammation
- Lowering blood pressure
Health Benefits :
- One of the most important benefits of celery seeds is because of its cancer fighting ability. It has some active components that are helpful in fighting cancerous tumor such as polyacetylenes and phthalides.
- The other significant health benefit of celery seeds is that it helps in managing the blood pressure levels. Having celery seeds everyday helps in promoting good blood pressure levels.
- It protects as well as reverses the bad effects of acetaminophen on the liver, which is an analgesic. Having celery seeds everyday balances the harmful effect on the liver. Although this benefit is not backed by any scientific report but many people have made use of the benefits of celery seeds.
- Benefits of celery seeds include the ability to reduce the cholesterol level. The cholesterol blocks the arteries which increases the risk of heart problems. Herbal experts often use celery seeds to cure circulatory system problems.
- Celery seeds have many nutrients as well as substances such as flavonoids, linoleic acid, coumarins and several volatile oils. Because of the presence of the above named components celery seeds are helpful in curing many diseases.
- Celery seeds are known to have anti inflammatory agents. Having celery seeds everyday helps in treating pain and inflammation of the joints. Having celery seeds everyday helps in curing inflammation related ailments such as gout, rheumatism as well as arthritis.
- Celery seeds stimulate the uterus and helps in easing muscle spasms, especially related to the female reproductive system. Celery seeds are helpful in easing menstrual cramps and pains. If women have it on everyday basis then it really eases the symptoms of menstrual discomfort.
- Celery seeds are diuretic in nature and because of this property they are extremely useful. The excess urinations caused due to the diuretic nature of celery seeds helps flush out the toxins along with extra water from the body. The health benefits of celery seeds are most importantly helpful in flushing out the uric acid along with urine.
- As the celery seeds are diuretic in nature they are recommended to people with kidney stones, water retention, as well as gout. Celery seeds do not permit extra accumulation of uric acid as well as fluids in the human body.
- Celery seeds are antibiotic as well as antiseptic in nature. These properties are excessively essential in curing many kinds of infection in the body. Celery seeds are especially useful in curing infection of the urinary tract. Herbal experts have recommended the consumption of celery seeds to treat bladder ailments, kidney troubles and cystitis.