Description : Cumin plants grow 15 to 30cm (6 to 12in) tall and have thin, slender dark green leaves and pink or white flowers. The seeds resemble caraway seeds, being oblong in shape, longitudinally ridged, and yellow-brown in colour. The seeds have a nutty, peppery, pungent flavour with a rich aroma and high oil content that helps to add an earthy and warming feeling to recipes. This versatile spice makes a wonderful addition to any herb garden and does wonders in the kitchen.
- Jaljira a product of Cumin seeds is generally taken before meals as an appetizer.
- The mix of buttermilk and few drops of oil when cooked with cumin seeds, helps to aid in digestion. It is generally preferred to take after eating spicy and oily foods.
- Cumin seeds has the ability to cure acute indigestion when 2 tsp of it is taken along with warm water before meal.
- If you have acidity, hyperacidity, stomach burning, anorexia and gaseous distension; No problem, take the mix of 2 gm of cumin seeds along with coriander juice, cardamom and salt for better result.
- For mouth bad taste, some small quantity of Cumin seeds may be chewed before food for wonderful results.
- The patients suffering from constipation, worm infestation, and fever; it is better idea to take 1 tsp of cumin seeds along with warm water 3-4 times per day.
- For insect bite, paste of cumin seeds and Ghee should be applied on the affected area to lessen pain and inflammation.
- For halitosis (bad breath), gargling should be done with infusion of seeds of black caraway.
- Postpartum period woman should be given seeds of caraway to cleanse uterus and improve lactation.
- It is one of the few spices that is used more or less in all recipes.
Medicinal Uses : Cumin works well for digestive disorders, it helps control stomach pain, indigestion, diarrhoea, nausea and morning sickness. Cumin can be used in the treatment of piles due to its fibre content, anti-fungal, laxative and carminative properties. The antiseptic properties of cumin can help fight flu, by boosting the immune system. A cup of water boiled with cumin seeds, ginger, basil leaves and honey, can give great relief.
Health Benefits :
- Iron for Energy and Immune Function
- Seeds of Good Digestion
- Cancer Prevention