Description : Gloriosa superba also known as Calihari, is perennial herb and grown as a climber. It is also called Glory Lily because of its eye catching and multicolored glorious flowers. The tendrils present in the leaves help the plant to grow with the support of other plants in order to get sunlight. The flower of Gloriosa superba is also the national flower of Zimbabwe and state flower of Tamil Nadu. The flowers are red, orange, yellow and multicoloured. It flowers from October to May. The height of the plant is 3.5m to 6m.The plant has a V-shaped underground tuber of 50-60gm weight and sold commercially. The capsule is packed with small seeds.
Medicinal Uses :
- It gives ease from the neuralgic pain.
- It gives comfort from abdominal pain.
- In India, it is used locally to decrease labour pain during pregnancy.
- As a rich source of colchicines, the seeds of Glory Lily are used in the treatment of rheumatism and gout.
- The tubers are used against snake bite.
- The extract is used to kill lice.
- The tuber is used for the cure of cancer and leprosy.
- Africans use the extract from the leaves in the arrow because of its poisonous nature.
- The tuber is used for the treatment of kidney problem.
- This can also be used to reduce sexually transmitted disease.
- The tuber of this is used to kill helminthes in our body without causing any damage to the body.
- It is used against nocturnal emission.
- The extract of the root is used as a pesticide in agriculture.
- It is also helpful in the treatment of ulcer, piles and soars.
- This is also helpful for the treatment of smallpox.
- Indians use this as sedative in digestion and respiratory disorder.
- The tuber powder can be mixed with oil and applied on the skin to avoid pimples.
- The extract is also used to cure sprains and impotence.
- It gives comfort against inflammation.