Description : Henna (Lawsonia) is a middle sized plant growing up to a height of 24 ft with multiple branches. It produces pinkish to white flowers which are small and seen in large terminal bunches. The fruits are small and round. The name henna (Lawsonia) is derived from Arabic.
In India it is cultivated for commercial purposes in Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh and Rajasthan.
Uses : The chief use of the Henna plant is as pleasant orange dye for colouring palms, nails, feet, hair, beard, even tails and limbs of animals. Henna, mixed with other natural dyes, is largely used as hairdye and even for textiles.
The oil obtained from its flowers is used in perfumery.
Habitat : Scarcely in dry decidious forests, widely cultivated as a hedge plant.
Medicinal Value :
- The Mehendi plant adds nutrition to the hair and clears dandruff.
- Lawsonia inermis is useful against heat stroke and used against a headache.
- Henna bark and root are used for the treatment of liver enlargement and jaundice.
- Mehendi leaves are soaked in water and drunken to cure cracking of nails and adds nutrition to the body.
- Lawsonia inermis powder with butter cures scabies, mange and swelling.
- It acts against hair loss and strengthens hair. Hence, henna is used as a natural agent for baldness.
- Because of the astringent nature of Mehendi leaves, it is used to cure sunburn and other rashes in the body.
- People suffering from fever or high-temperature use as a home remedy for the treatment.
- It acts as a cooling agent when applied on the burns and wounds. It is also an effective sun block.
- It is used for treatment of arthritis. Massage of Lawsonia inermis oil for a month can give relief.
- The bark can help in the treatment of skin diseases.
- It also used against a sore throat.
- Boiled henna is useful for boiling stones.
- It used as a useful agent for leucodermia.
- Leprosy in early stages can be treated by Lawsonia inermis.
- It clears eczema and also kills ringworm.
- It used for the treatment of some fungal infection, i.e., athlete’s foot.
Botanical Name : : LAWSONIA INERMIS
Family Name: : LYTHRACEAE
Common Name: : HENNA, AL-KHANNA, AL-HENNA, JAMAICA MIGNONETTE, MEHNDI, MENDEE, EGYPTIAN PRIVET, SMOOTH LAWSONIA
Part Used : Flowers, Powdered Leaves,Fruit
|LAWSONIA ALBA ( HEENA )|
|DESCRIPTION||GREEN COLOURED LIQUID WITH PECULIAR ODOUR|
|IDENTIFICATION||PRESENCE OF LAWSONE – POSITIVE|
|MISCIBLE IN MINERAL AND VEGETABLE OIL AND INSOLUBLE IN WATER|
|SPECIFIC GRAVITY||0.89 ~ 1.2|
|MOISTURE CONTENT||MAX. 0.5%|
|HEAVY METALS||MAX. 20 PPM|