Description : The plant grows in the sub-Himalayan parts of the Uttar Pradesh and Punjab. It is also found across the Deccan Peninsular region up to the height of 900 meters above sea level. The plant is also found in other countries like Mauritius, Sri Lanka, Burma and Madagascar. This medicinal herb is a much branched shrub that tends to intertwine.
The bark of the plant is yellowish brown in color and is corky with deep cracks. The leaves of the Leptadenia Reticulata are ovate cordate and have a coriaceous glabrous above them. They are finely pubescent beneath. The flowers of the plant are greenish yellow in color and have follicles on them that are sub woody and turgid. The cork like bark of the shrub makes the plant stand out.
Jivanti also known as Leptadenia reticulata is named so because of its nourishing property for every part of the body.
Jivanti means which adds in the Jivan – the living force. Jivanti specially corrects the metabolism and enhance the nutritive status of the body and corrects the digestive system; it specially nourishes the eyes and the reproductive system.
Uses : In Madagascar a stem decoction is taken to facilitate the expulsion of the afterbirth; it is also applied to stop bleeding after circumcision. A stem decoction is also taken as a tonic and to treat diabetes. In Comoros a stem decoction, together with several other plant species, is taken to treat fever and colic.
In India a paste of seeds and leaves is applied to gangrene. A leaf and root decoction is taken to treat cough, asthma and tuberculosis. The aerial parts and roots, called ‘Jivanti’ or ‘Dodi’, are widely used in Ayurvedic medicine as a stimulant and tonic. Leaves are given to cows to increase milk flow.
In Madagascar the fruits are eaten in times of food scarcity. Leptadenia reticulata has been planted in the south of Madagascar to fix sand dunes.
Medicinal uses :
- The fresh fruit juice is considered a very good “Rasayana”.
- Dried fruit pulp powder 5gm with turmeric powder is 5gm swallowed with water to care Diabetes (For 3 months).
- Daily intake of 10 gm powder with water for long period is useful to cure T.B, burning sensations in internal organs, leucoderma, skin diseases, leucorrhoea, asthma, heart problems, blood impurities and indigestion.
- It regulates liver, stomach, brain, eye, ear and throat functions if taken daily, regularly and for long periods.
- It is tonic for hair, skin, arteries &veins