PLANTAGO OVATA HUSK
Botanical Name : :Psyllium Husk
Family Name: PLANTAGINACEAE
Common Name: PSYLLIUM HUSK, PSYLLIUM SEEDS, PLANTAGO, ISPAGHULA, FLEAM, SPOGEL SEEDS, ISABGOL
Part Used : Husk,Seed
Habitat : Mediteranian region and commercially grown in north western India.
Uses : It is Diuretic, Emollient and Cooling. Used in inflamatory conditions of mucous memberane of gastro intestinal and genitourinary tracts.Very well known as a laxative. It restores proper bowel movements and ued in treatment of chronic constipation, amoebic and bucillary dysentary. Psyllium husk and seeds are formal Pharmacopoeia.
|PLANTAGO OVATO ( ISABGHUL, PSYLLIUM )|
|MUCILLOID CONTENT||98% MINIMUM PURITY|
|MICROBIAL LIMITS||ABSENCE OF SALMONELLA SP. AND EXCHERICHIA COLI|
|TOTOAL ASH||4 PCT. MAXIMUM|
|ACID INSOLUBLE ASH||1 PCT. MAXIMUM|
|MOISTURE CONTENT||12 PCT. MAXIMUM|
|HEAVY MATTER EXTRANEOUS||0.6 PCT. MAXIMUM|
|SWELL VOLUME||MINIMUM 50 ML / GRAM|
|PARTICLE SIZE||MIN. 40% RETAINED BY WEIGHT ON 30 MESH US SCREEN MAX. 4% THROUGH US 70 MESH SCREEN AND MAX. 4% THROUGH US 100 MESH STANDARD SCREEN|
Description : Psyllium is a form of fiber made from the Plantago ovata plant, specifically from the husks of the plant’s seed. It sometimes goes by the name ispaghula.
It’s most commonly known as a laxative. Psyllium provides more benefits to your body than decreasing the amount of time you spend in the bathroom. Research shows that psyllium has many benefits to the human body, from your heart to your pancreas.
CHARACTERISTICS : The Plantago Ovata is native to parts of Western Asia, Pakistan, China, Russia and India. This annual medicinal herb has erect stems and narrow leaves. The leaves are lance shaped, hairy and have indents on them. They also have vertical and parallel lines all over. The white flowers have cylindrical spikes and the seeds are pink or grayish brown in color. They look like small ovular boats and can measure up to 2 mm.
The major parts of Plantago Ovata that are used in making medicines include its seed with the outer coating, ripened dried seeds and powdered granular solutions made from the seed.
- Laxative effects: The jelly like mucilage reacts with cold water and increases in volume. This process helps in stimulating the intestines and relieves the problem of chronic constipation. This mucilage is unaffected by the bacteria that decomposes the food in our food.
- Anti hemorrhoidal effects: this medicinal plant is known to control the problem of bleeding internal hemorrhoids.
- Pharmacological Activity: the ethanol extracted from the seed of the plant helps in cholinergic activities and lowering blood pressure levels.
- Anti Diarrheal Activity: The Plantago Ovata extract is known to be beneficial in relieving patients suffering from chronic cases of diarrhea, dysentery, gastric inflammation as well as urinary problems.
- Glucose lowering activity is a well known benefit of Plantago Ovata.
- Protection of Mucosa