Botanical Name : TERMINALIA BELERICA
Family Name: COMBRETACEAE
Common Name: BELERIC, BELLIRIC MYROBALAN, BAEHRA
Part Used : Fruit
Habitat : Grown throughout India.
Description : Beleric is a large deciduous tree found throughout India, in areas up to an altitude of 1,000 meters. The tree takes a height of 30 meters, while the bark is brownish grey in color. The alternate, broadly elliptic leaves are clustered towards the end of the branches. They are 10 to 12 cm in length and 7 to 14 cm in breadth. The simple, solitary flowers are in auxiliary spikes, with offensive odor. They blossom in the month of May. The fruits are ovoid grey drupes and the kernels are sweet, but narcotic.
- It is Astringent, Tonic, Expectorant and Laxative. It is used in coughs and sore throat. Its pulp is used in dropsy, piles and diarrhoea. It is also useful in Leprosy, fever and hair care. It is also used in Oxalic acid and preparation if ink.
- Beleric is a rejuvenative and laxative. It proves beneficial for hair, throat and eyes.
- Beleric seed oil or fruit paste is applied on swollen and painful parts.
- The seed oil gives excellent results in skin diseases and premature graying of hair.
- Fruit pieces are baked and chewed for cough, cold, hoarseness of voice and asthma.
- Beleric fruit is powdered and used to dress wounds to arrest the bleeding.
- Beleric fruits and kernels are used in making medicated hair oil, used to alleviate pain and burning sensation, boost hair growth and impart black color to the hair.
- The paste of the fruit is applied on eyelids, in case of conjunctivitis.
- The herb is used in various eye ailments, such as myopia, corneal opacity, pterigium, immature cataract, chronic and acute infective conditions.
- Beleric helps in loss of appetite, flatulence, thirst, piles and worms.
- The ripened fruit acts as an astringent and anti-diarrheal.
- The decoction of the kernels is used in case of excessive thirst and vomiting.
- Beleric plant alleviates cough, relieves blocked phlegm, controls bleeding in the sputum and eases bronchospasms.
- It prevents ageing, imparts longevity, boosts immunity, improves mental faculties and enhances the body resistance against diseases.
- It helps in lowering cholesterol and blood pressure.
Product Offered : Bark, Fruits, Fruits without seeds